Saturday, August 08, 2009

I'm really awestruck by the high levels of professionalism exhibited by my SP colleagues.

Like two fridays before when Gill easily held the audience's attention during his lecture. People were actually triggered to answer his teaser questions even though it was after 6pm! His explanation was perfectly in sync with his slides and everything was so well-timed--his sarcasm, his humour, his attempt to relate complicated issues to the Singapore context.

I felt like such an impostor. You mean people like me can get by teaching GP in such a lackluster manner for 3 years?! Omg. How did I even secure the job at SP in the first place?

Like the lesson observation last week. Susan, my Reporting Officer--my direct boss--actually took the time out to type out her suggestions on how I could incorporate student-centred activities to enliven my lesson. It was like woah! I am touched that she would go to such an extent to share her experiences. This is especially so when I am starting to feel the intensity of the workload; she must be 10 times busier.

Like yesterday when Helen gave us a laminated certificate for successfully completing Poly 50. I mean, I thought I was rather thoughtful for emailing all the group photo we took before the race but she actually went to all this trouble. Again, there's nothing in it for her work-wise.

Or like yesterday when I met up with personnel at Centre for Experience Design to understand more about design thinking and this director took time out to spend time understanding about what my department hoped to achieve. Isn't the obvious thing to do is leave me with his subordinate? And after our meeting, he actually crafted a detailed email to my director--principal of the school--expounding on the discussion outcomes and expressing eagerness to collaborate together. highly efficient!

I feel lucky to learn from all these positive role models. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home